This is part one in a series entitled, Sneak Peek at a Small Business Redesign Process. I will post additional posts in this series on Thursdays.
In July, I started working on a rebranding campaign for the 2nd Look Boutique in Fuquay-Varina, NC. The shop mainly sells consignment clothing, toys, and accessories for babies, boys, and girls. It’s located on a quaint, downtown street with other local shops and restaurants. It has been a popular place for locals to make money selling their lightly used children’s items and to find affordable things for their growing children.
Kristen, the new owner (and my sister-in-law!), was interested in launching a new name, a whole new graphic look, and a new website at the end of the summer. We were able to visit her and the store while we were on a trip by east to introduce family to our 3 month old baby. We had a great time and also found lots of great clothes to bring home for our son!
1. The Old Logo
The old logo, which was acquired with the purchase of the store, featured a pair of Owls, one boy and one girl. Since the name of the store was changing, there wasn’t much that we needed to keep, although Kristen did like that the logo communicated that boys and girls clothing was sold in the store.
2. Handwriting Font
Kristen knew she wanted a handwriting font for the logo. Once she chose the new name that she liked– The Glittery Frog (read the story behind the name on their website)— I developed a textual element out of several different handwriting Google fonts (Shadows into Light, Loved by the King, and Calligraffiti, plus some hand-drawn vector embellishments).
3. The Final Additions: the frog, swirlies, sparkles, and a crown
Here are some children’s brand logos that seemed similar to what Kristen had in mind for the store–playful and whimsical images, handwriting fonts, swirlies and shiny elements:
We started exploring some different graphic motifs to pair with the text. Kristen asked for a couple of frog outlines, one wearing a crown and the other donning a tiara. This was my first try:
The frogs started off looking a little too scientific and needed to be more whimsical. I added some eyes for fun but still tried to keep the outlines simple and clean.
We decided to simplify the design to include only one frog and worked on placing the font inside the graphic to make the whole logo more unified and compact. We introduced swirlies and tried different colors for the frogs, crowns, and embellishments. We moved from a lime green to a sage, mossy green and tweaked the color of the font from black to a dark grey, which seemed to complement the pink better.
We both were pleased with the finished logo. Now we just needed a few different final logos for various print, banner, and vinyl applications. Here’s the horizontal version.
4. Graphics for Social Media
Before the launch of the new name was scheduled and the website announced in a newsletter to existing customers, I created a new Facebook cover photo and profile picture for the shop. Here’s the finished Facebook coverphoto:
and the profile pic. We made the frog a little taller to fit better in the square format and left out the text, so that the profile pic is readable whether small or big. The text is displayed on the coverphoto and the name is included in Facebook posts made from the business page account:
We also posted a custom made banner to the store’s existing Facebook page to announce the change:
The new website had almost 300 views on the first day alone… Kristen’s new look, name, and website are off to a great start!
Thanks for reading my blog. If you have a critique or question, please leave it in the comments.